.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Yoga Korunta

Life & Politics

Name:
Location: United States

One learns, as nothing endures but change.

27 December 2005

Tuesday's Word

ennead* The Ennead (a word derived from Greek, meaning the nine) is a grouping of nine deities, most often used in the context of Egyptian mythology. As three of threes, the number was considered of great carnal power, and the groupings of nine Gods were considered very important.

There were multiple Enneads in Ancient Egypt. Pyramid Texts mention the Great Ennead, the Lesser Ennead, the Dual Ennead, plural Enneads, and even the Seven Enneads. Some Pharaohs created Enneads that incorporated themselves; most notably, Seti I in his temple at Redesiyah worshipped the Ennead that combined six important deities with three deified forms of himself.

Interestingly, the Egyptian term pesedjet, usually translated as Ennead, does not necessarily mean a group of nine. There are some pesedjets that had a varying number of Gods throughout Egyptian history, and may have contained as few as seven, and as many as ten Gods.

This Tuesday's Word come to us courtesy of Douglas Hoffman who found this humble blog through our good friend, blogger extraordinaire, Blue Gal!

*Wikipedia


6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

bold choice.

09:43  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Thank you, Rose! Douglas gets all the credit. I was going to use another word today but the scanner wouldn't work.

13:23  
Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

Do you like studying about ancient egyption beliefs? My best friend is a tattoo artist and he wants to tattoo a scarab beetle on me when he finishes up on my back.

14:49  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

This week's Word was new to me. All I know about ancient Egypt was learned by watching the Discovery Channel-very little!

15:31  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Hey, I learned a lot from this. My understanding of the word was limited to "a group of nine." I wasn't aware of the mythological underpinnings. Cool!

20:07  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Thanks! The chemist found the entry before me.

00:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats