.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Yoga Korunta

Life & Politics

Name:
Location: United States

One learns, as nothing endures but change.

06 February 2007

Tuesday's Word: Cold

Cold: Temperature is a physical property of a system that underlies the common notions of hot and cold; something that is hotter has the greater temperature. Temperature is one of the principal parameters of thermodynamics. The temperature of a system is related to the average energy of microscopic motions in the system. For a solid, these microscopic motions are principally the vibrations of the constituent atoms about their sites in the solid. For an ideal monatomic gas, the microscopic motions are the translational motions of the constituent gas particles.

Temperature is measured with thermometers that may be calibrated to a variety of temperature scales. Throughout the world (except for in the U.S.), the Celsius scale is used for most temperature measuring purposes. The entire scientific world (the U.S. included) measures temperature using the Celsius scale, and thermodynamic temperature using the Kelvin scale. Many engineering fields in the U.S., especially high-tech ones, also use the Kelvin and Celsius scales. The bulk of the U.S. however, (its lay people, industry, meteorology, and government) relies upon the Fahrenheit scale. Other engineering fields in the U.S. also rely upon the Rankine scale when working in thermodynamic-related disciplines such as combustion.

Bloggers, you're being spared the usual scientific explanation this time; 6 degrees Fahrenheit.

Baby, it's cold outside!

6 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

You said it! I'm going into hibernation!

09:10  
Blogger Mary said...

You said it! I'm going into hibernation!

09:10  
Blogger Mary said...

You said it! I'm going into hibernation!

09:14  
Blogger Mary said...

You said it! I'm going into hibernation!

09:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yoga,

I like your blog. What's wrong with some people?

Cold is a word that I , H. Rudy Ericson, love. I miss the change of seasons. I miss the change of color in the trees. I miss the snow outside my door. I miss the natural beauty.

If you don't mind some ugly language, you might enjoy laughing at some misogynists I have found. Feel free to leave an anonymous comment. A comment leading to your blog might attract unwanted trolls. It has not attracted attention to the few on my 'good' blog roll. Maybe you can post as yourself. It's up to you. Your input would be a delight. (Heterosexexualy speaking, that is.)

Have fun.

P.S. I get the distinct impression that, Mary, is going into hibernation.

06:25  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Mary, sometimes hibernation is the better choice...sleep well!

Rudy, some people get their jollies by picking on others, thumping Bibles, and inbreeding. I'll stop by; thanks for reading!

08:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats