.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Yoga Korunta

Life & Politics

Name:
Location: United States

One learns, as nothing endures but change.

30 May 2006

Tuesday's Word: ginger

Main Entry: 1gin·ger
Pronunciation: 'jin-j&rFunction: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gingifer, from Medieval Latin gingiber, alteration of Latin zingiber, from Greek zingiberi, ultimately from Pali singivEra1 a (1) : a thickened pungent aromatic rhizome that is used as a spice and sometimes medicinally (2) : the spice usually prepared by drying and grinding ginger b : any of a genus (Zingiber of the family Zingiberaceae, the ginger family) of herbs with pungent aromatic rhizomes; especially : a widely cultivated tropical herb (Z. officinale) that supplies most commercial ginger
2 : PEP
3 : a strong brown- gin·gery /'jinj-rE, 'jin-j&-/ adjective

Ginger prevents motion sickness. It is wonderful to use before sailing or amusement park rides.

*Merriam-Webster

14 Comments:

Blogger DivaJood said...

Oh, and did you know that ginger actually WORKS to prevent or cure motion sickness? It does, I use it when scuba diving off small boats.

17:00  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

I think that is where I first heard of the medicinal properties of ginger.

You may enjoy the post from 07 JUN 2005.

17:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Tuesday!

00:04  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Thank you!

04:42  
Blogger barbie2be said...

i just made a yummy ginger apple galette for sugar high friday. :)

18:50  
Blogger DivaJood said...

I did read June 7 2005 -- and you are right, I did enjoy it.

13:27  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Barbie, when are you baking for me?
Thanks, Jood!

19:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I didn't know it prevented motion sickness. Much better than taking one of those pills. Very good to know.

15:31  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Yes! Wish I'd known this as child. Even riding in a car would upset me then.

17:38  
Blogger Sue said...

I have ginger lilies in my garden. MMMM!

11:36  
Blogger barbie2be said...

whenever you like, dear. :) you name it.

15:43  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Barbie, perhaps we could meet in Hell? See today's Word! 666! Oh, wait, that's George's number, isn't it!?!

10:05  
Blogger Unknown said...

My mom used to give us Gingerale when we had the flu & were throwing up. I guess it must fight nausea, eh?

Unforutnately, because gingerale and puking were connected from that, I still hate gingerale to this day.

But I do like ginger :)

14:17  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Good for you, Helen! It makes me feel better when Chimperor whines about what godless heathen we bloggers are!

16:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats