.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Yoga Korunta

Life & Politics

Name:
Location: United States

One learns, as nothing endures but change.

23 August 2005

Cabin Construction: Week Five

We placed shingles on the front roof, which is an easily walked 5 in 12 slope, (5" horizontal run to 12 " vertical rise), on Sunday. This is a simple gable roof with common rafters, and is a good place to learn the trade. After pounding several dozen nails, I soon determined this hot, difficult work is better left to people who know what they are doing! So, I got off the roof and began cutting step stringers. The 2x10 wood stock is marked with a framing square and a brass stair gage set. There are three steps using a 5" rise and an 11" tread.

In other news, the tar paper which was nailed last week leaked in three places, though not in an area where I was working. This leaking is only temporary as the shingles will stop the rain.

I stopped to record mileage while driving from Freeport to the cabin; a driver in a blue Mercedes stopped to inquire if I had car trouble. This is an area where passing motorists wave on the back roads.

The solar shower I bought for backpacking is terrific! After heating in the sun for little more than a hour, it provides warm water.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you plan to use the cabin for?

07:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I read you blog entries, I get a Hemingwayist feel from them. The way he described drink and food, is simmular to the way you describe what your work on the cabin

13:34  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

The cabin is a vacation home for some friends. It is beside another cabin which is used as a base camp for deer hunting.

Hemingway was very influential when I read him but that was before college. Thanks!

17:37  
Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

My hubby is a roofer. I am pretty sure that there should be no leaks once papered in. You may want to check that :)

22:23  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

That's what I thought, too. This job is the first time I've ever done roofing and don't know what to expect!

07:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for this informative blog. I'm interested in anything related to Yoga. Thanks again. anusara yoga poses

11:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats