.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Yoga Korunta

Life & Politics

Name:
Location: United States

One learns, as nothing endures but change.

17 December 2006

In Loving Memory of Margaret Hoffman

The memorial service for my aunt, Margaret Hoffman, was held today at Brookfield United Methodist Church. In attendance were her sister Jean, her children Shirley, Robin, and James, and grandchildren April, Matthew, Jennifer, Alyssa, and Greta, and the woman who introduced her to my uncle Jimmy. Nearly 100 other relatives and friends came to pay their last respects.

Margaret met her husband, Jimmy, on a blind date while attending college in Ohio. Her roommate, Alice Chiverton, later Alice Hoffman, was dating Carl Hoffman, Jimmy's cousin, and introduced them in 1941. They went out on only 5 or 6 dates when my uncle proposed. He was in the Army, stationed in Texas, and most of their contact was through letters. They eloped and were married at Jimmy's parents' home. Though my grandfather disowned her for the rash action of marrying a soldier who might leave her a widowed mother, his stance softened when Shirley was born. Later, they lived in Columbus while Jimmy attended law school at Ohio State University.

On 05 December my cousin, Jim, and his mother, sang Christmas carols together in the assisted living home where she stayed.

Aside from my parents, Margaret's husband, Jimmy, and daughter, Shirley, were the most influential people in my younger years.

Aunt Margaret, you will be missed by all. I've never felt closer to you than when I stood beside your children to say "Goodbye."

Love,
David

Margaret Ellen Hoffman
Born August 29, 1922
Died December 7, 2006

8 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Beautiful tribute to your Aunt. May she rest in peace.

09:05  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Thank you, Mary. I'm the only blogger in the family and sought to share something nice about a relative.

10:41  
Blogger barbie2be said...

David, I'm so sorry for your loss.

00:50  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

She sounds like a wonderful woman and I know you will miss her. She left you with some lovely memories that you may keep with you always.

07:25  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Thank you, Barbie. Margaret had been the matriarch of that side of the family for years. Now the job falls upon my mother who is 77.

Yes, POP, I will miss her. The emotional reaction didn't hit until writing about the funeral on Sunday. My cousins and I are now of the age where we must care for the elders. Thank you for the kind thoughts.

21:01  
Blogger Crabbi said...

Dear David,

I am so sorry.

01:35  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Thank you, Crabbi. This is a changing point for the family. I don't know how I'll manage when my own mother dies.

05:33  
Blogger Crabbi said...

It's scary, I know. I think about that myself.

13:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats